
A flurry of movement, excitement in the air. An airport run at 5am (Alex and Andrew). A release from the hospital. flowers filled the house. everything was coming together, despite the potential downer at the end of last week.
On Saturday morning, a week after the notorious April Fool (nate) ski tour, we were dressed and on our way out the door. Alex looked marvelous. Andrew and Matthi were forced into suits. I had picked my suit out...by my very own self...which Alex approved of, of course. Rings, check. Orange sock, check. Pain pills, double check.

The sun poured over the mountains highlighting the snow caps and enhanced the colors of spring: flowers and trees beginning to bloom.
We joined our families and a handful of friends in front of the courthouse and eventually made our way up the steps (slowly, due to my new accessory-crutches) to the 15th century courthouse where we were soon to be wed. The sound of harp music surprised us as we saw that someone had secretly arranged for one of our musical friends to play accompaniment to the event. The small wooden courthouse felt rich with history, but alive with energy of young love and friendship.
The proceedings were read in german and a friend translated them into English (so I can't claim that I didn't know what I was getting into!) A short while later, we were asked to say, Ja! and then sign our names in the book...which sealed the deal. Our witnesses Andrew, my brother, and Matthias, Alex's brother, finalized the ceremony and we were declared partners in crime! or I may have misunderstood that last part.

Following the civil union, we raised our glasses in a toast outside in the courtyard and enjoyed the wonderful warm spring day. Afterwards, the families had dinner in a famous old restaurant, the Golden Lion, and then later in the afternoon joined our friends again for a celebration cake and light dinner.


It was a blessed day and one that Alex and I feel super about. As we laid in bed on our Wedding night, my leg raised high on several pillows, wrapped in gauze and ace bandages, covered in ice packs, and throbbing, we decided to hold off on any other excitmement for one day...we've got plenty of time!
No comments:
Post a Comment